Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (geography) An area that is lower in topography than its surroundings.
- (psychology) In psychotherapy and psychiatry, a state of mind producing serious, long-term lowering of enjoyment of life or inability to visualize a happy future.
- I used to suffer from depression, but now I'm mostly content with my life.
- (psychology) In psychotherapy and psychiatry, a period of unhappiness or low morale which lasts longer than several weeks and may include ideation of self-inflicted injury or suicide.
- (meteorology) An area of lowered air pressure that generally brings moist weather, sometimes promoting hurricanes and tornadoes.
- (economics) A period of major economic contraction.
- (economics, US) Four consecutive quarters of negative, real GDP growth. See NBER.
- The Great Depression was an event in US history.
- (biology, physiology) A lowering, in particular a reduction in a particular biological variable or the function of an organ, in contrast to elevation.
area that is lower than its surroundings
state of mind producing serious long-term lowering of enjoyment
area of lowered air pressure
period of major economic contraction
- National Bureau of Economic Research on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:National Bureau of Economic Research
- Genitive singular form of depressio.
- Geographical or psychological depression.