1650s, from French épistolaire, from Latin epistolaris, from Latin epistola (“letter”) (English epistle), from Ancient Greek ἐπιστολή (epistolḗ) from ἐπιστέλλω (epistéllō, “I send a message”) from ἐπί (epí, “upon”) + στέλλω (stéllō, “I prepare, send”).
- Hyphenation: e‧pis‧to‧la‧ry
- a Christian liturgical book containing set readings for church services from the New Testament Epistles.
- of or relating to letters, or the writing of letters
- carried on by written correspondence
- in the manner of written correspondence
- epistolary style
- an epistolary novel