Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
gesture (plural gestures)
- A motion of the limbs or body, especially one made to emphasize speech.
- The middle finger gesture is really a nonverbal swear.
- This Web browser can be controlled with mouse gestures.
- An act or a remark made as a formality or as a sign of attitude.
- We took flowers as a gesture of sympathy.
Related terms 
motion of the limbs or body
act or remark
- (intransitive) To make a gesture or gestures.
- My dad said to never gesture with my hands when I talk.
- (transitive) To express something by a gesture or gestures.
- Never gesture at someone with a middle finger.
- ((intransitive) make a gesture): gesticulate
- ((intransitive) make a gesture): beckon
(intransitive) to make a gesture
(transitive) to express something by a gesture
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also 
- gesture in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- gesture in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- vocative masculine singular of gestūrus