Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
glue (plural glues)
- A hard gelatin made by boiling bones and hides, used in solution as an adhesive; or any sticky adhesive substance.
- (obsolete) Birdlime.
sticky adhesive substance
- (transitive) To join or attach something using glue.
- I need to glue the chair-leg back into place.
2014 December 23, Olivia Judson, “The hemiparasite season [print version: Under the hemiparasite, International New York Times, 24–25 December 2014, p. 7]”, The New York Times:
- […] The flesh [of the mistletoe berry] is sticky, and forms strings and ribbons between my thumb and forefinger. For the mistletoe, this viscous goop – and by the way, viscous comes to English from viscum – is crucial. The stickiness means that, after eating the berries, birds often regurgitate the seeds and then wipe their bills on twigs – leading to the seeds' getting glued to the tree, where they can germinate and begin the cycle anew.
- (transitive) To cause something to adhere closely to; to follow attentively.
- His eyes were glued to the screen.
join with glue