Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ɡɹaɪn.də(ɹ)/, X-SAMPA: /graIn.d@(r)/
- Rhymes: -aɪndə(r)
- (US) IPA: /ɡɻaɪndɝ/, X-SAMPA: /gr\`aInd@`/
grinder (plural grinders)
- (anatomical) A molar.
- A power tool with a spinning abrasive disc, used for grinding, smoothing, and shaping materials, usually metal.
- A sandwich made on a long, cylindrical roll.
- I am going to the deli to get a grinder for lunch.
- A kitchen gadget for processing coffee, herbs etc. into small or powdered pieces
The usage of grinder and related terms for sandwiches varies widely. In the Philadelphia area, for example, a "grinder" is distinguished from a "hoagie" in that the grinder is toasted or baked, and usually lacks lettuce.
sandwich — see sub