Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
background (plural backgrounds)
- One's social heritage; what one did in the past/previously.
- The lawyer had a background in computer science.
- A part of the picture that depicts scenery to the rear or behind the main subject; context.
- Information relevant to the current situation about past events; history.
- A less important feature of scenery (as opposed to foreground.)
- There was tons of noise in the background.
- The photographer let us pick a background for the portrait.
- (computing) The image or color, over which a computer's desktop items are shown (e.g. icons or application windows).
- (computing) Activity on a computer that is not normally visible to the user
- The antivirus program is running in the background.
part of picture
less important feature
activity not visible to the user
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To put in a position that is not prominent