Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Responsible for a dishonest act.
- He was guilty of cheating at cards.
- (law) Judged to have committed a crime.
- The guilty man was led away.
- Having a sense of guilt.
- Do you have a guilty conscience?
- 1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 8, The Celebrity:
- I corralled the judge, and we started off across the fields, in no very mild state of fear of that gentleman's wife, whose vigilance was seldom relaxed. And thus we came by a circuitous route to Mohair, the judge occupied by his own guilty thoughts, and I by others not less disturbing.
- I have a guilty secret.
responsible for a dishonest act
judged to have committed a crime
having a sense of guilt
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
guilty (plural guilties)
- (law) A plea by a defendant who does not contest a charge.
- (law) A verdict of a judge or jury on a defendant judged to have committed a crime.
- One who is declared guilty of a crime.