Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Answerable for an act performed or for its consequences; accountable; amenable, especially legally or politically.
2012 March 1, William E. Carter, Merri Sue Carter, “The British Longitude Act Reconsidered”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 87:
- But was it responsible governance to pass the Longitude Act without other efforts to protect British seamen? Or might it have been subterfuge—a disingenuous attempt to shift attention away from the realities of their life at sea.
- Parents are responsible for their child's behaviour.
- Capable of responding to any reasonable claim; able to answer reasonably for one's conduct and obligations; capable of rational conduct.
- Involving responsibility; involving a degree of personal accountability on the part of the person concerned.
- She has a responsible position in the firm.
- Being a primary cause or agent of some event or action; capable of being credited for something, or of being held liable for something.
- Who is responsible for this mess?
- Able to be trusted; reliable; trustworthy.
- He looks like a responsible guy.
answerable for an act performed or for its consequences
able to answer reasonably for one's conduct
involving a degree of personal accountability
being a primary cause or agent of some event or action
able to be trusted
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked