Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Australia) IPA(key): /ˈheliˌkɔptə(ɹ)/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈhɛl.iˌkɒp.tə(ɹ)/, /ˈhɛl.ɪˌkɒp.tə(ɹ)/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɛlɨˌkɑptɚ/
helicopter (plural helicopters)
- An aircraft that is borne along by one or more sets of long rotating blades which allow it to hover, move in any direction including reverse, or land; and having a smaller set of blades on its tail that stabilize the aircraft.
- We flew over the city in a helicopter.
- a powered troweling machine with spinning blades used to spread concrete.
- a winged fruit of certain trees, such as ash, elm, and maple
- (aircraft): chopper (informal), copter (informal), eggbeater (slang), rotary-wing aircraft (technical), whirlybird (slang)
- (trowelling device): power trowel, trowel machine
- (winged fruit): samara, whirlybird
machine for spreading concrete
to transport by helicopter