Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- hilite (informal)
highlight (plural highlights)
- An area or a spot in a drawing, painting, or photograph that is strongly illuminated.
- An especially significant or interesting detail or event.
- (cosmetics) A strand or spot of hair dyed a different color than the rest.
- (especially significant or interesting detail or event): lowlight
strongly illuminated area in a drawing, painting, or photograph
especially significant or interesting detail or event
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To make prominent; emphasize.
2011 December 21, Helen Pidd, “Europeans migrate south as continent drifts deeper into crisis”, the Guardian:
- The Guardian has spoken to dozens of Europeans who have left, or are planning to leave. Their stories highlight surprising new migration routes – from Lisbon to Luanda, Dublin to Perth, Barcelona to Buenos Aires – as well as more traditional migration patterns.
- (transitive) To be a highlight of.
- (transitive) To mark (important passages of text) with a usually fluorescent marker as a means of memory retention or for later reference.
- (transitive) To dye (part of the hair) a different color than the rest.
to make prominent
to be a highlight of
to mark with a fluorescent marker