Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (medicine) A psychological disorder characterized by excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness.
- (anatomy) plural form of
- The technical use of hypochondria is as a synonym for hypochondriasis, while the colloquial use approximates somatization disorder (a different somatoform disorder). In cases where ambiguity is undesirable and the context may not be sufficient to identify the intended sense, it may be preferable to avoid the term hypochondria, using one of these terms instead.
- hypochondria in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- hypochondria in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- hypochondria at OneLook Dictionary Search
hypochondria f (plural hypochondrias)