Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Affected with great sadness or depression.
- Melancholy people don't talk much.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 1, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- “[…] the awfully hearty sort of Christmas cards that people do send to other people that they don't know at all well. You know. The kind that have mottoes […] . And then, when you see [the senders], you probably find that they are the most melancholy old folk with malignant diseases. […]”
Affected with sadness or depression
melancholy (plural melancholies)
- (historical) Black bile, formerly thought to be one of the four "cardinal humours" of animal bodies.
- Great sadness or depression, especially of a thoughtful or introspective nature.
Sadness or depression