Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: loath
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈləʊð/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈloʊð/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊð
- To hate, detest, revile.
- I loathe scrubbing toilets.
- I absolutely loathe hydrangeas.
- Loathing the honeyed cakes, I Ionged for bread.
1850, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portugese:
- Quick-loving hearts, I thought, may quickly loathe
2003 13 Oct, The New Yorker:
- This movie is a historical achievement: Clint Eastwood, an icon of violence, has made us loathe violence as an obscenity. “Mystic River” hurts the way sad stories always hurt, but the craft and love with which it has been made transfigure pain into a moviegoer’s rapture
- For usage examples of this term, see the citations page.
hate, detest, revile