Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Maul
maul (plural mauls)
- A heavy long-handled hammer, used for splitting logs by driving a wedge into it, or in combat.
- (rugby) A situation where the player carrying the ball, who must be on his feet, is held by one or more opponents, and one or more of the ball carrier's team mates bind onto the ball carrier.
heavy, long-handled hammer
See also 
- To handle someone or something in a rough way.
- To savage; to cause serious physical wounds (usually by an animal).
- The bear mauled him in a terrible way.
- (figuratively) To criticise harshly.
handle in a rough way
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.