Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Etymology 1 
- Rhymes: -ɛld
- (US) to combine two similar objects into one
- One can meld copper and zinc together to form brass.
- Much as America's motto celebrates melding many into one, South Africa's says that it doesn't matter what you look like — we can all be proud of our young country. - The New York Times, 26/02/2007 
to combine two similar objects into one
Related terms 
Etymology 2 
Probably from Dutch melden (“report, announce”).
- In card games, especially of the rummy family, to announce or display a combination of cards.
meld (plural melds)
- A combination of cards which is melded.
- Rhymes: -ɛlt