Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- (RP): enPR: nôt, IPA: /nɔːt/, X-SAMPA: /nO:t/
- (US): enPR: nôt, IPA: /nɔt/, X-SAMPA: /nOt/
- (cot–caught merger): enPR: nät, IPA: /nɑt/, X-SAMPA: /nAt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔːt
- Homophone: not (in accents with the cot-caught merger), knot (in accents with the cot-caught merger)
- (UK, Ireland, New Zealand) (now rare or archaic in US, Canada) Zero.
- Yet another naught on the scoreboard for the home team.
- (UK, Ireland, New Zealand) (now rare or archaic in US, Canada) Nothing; nothingness.
- Naught can come of this, you mark my words.