or words to that effect
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) used to indicate a paraphrase or the chance of an error in the details of reported speech.
- When he hit his finger with the hammer, he said "ouch" or words to that effect.
- 2004 August, Doug Stewart, “Shore Thing.”, Smithsonian, volume 34, number 5:
- they were beyond earshot of the American commander, Capt. James Lawrence, who implored his men: "Don't give up the ship!" (or words to that effect).
- (indicating paraphrase): OWTTE
used to indicate a paraphrase