Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
osmosis (plural osmoses)
- The net movement of solvent molecules from a region of high solvent potential to a region of lower solvent potential through a partially permeable membrane
- (slang) Picking up knowledge accidentally, without actually seeking that particular knowledge.
- I was reading about chickens, and I guess I learned about hawks through osmosis.
- 1999, Neil Gaiman, Stardust, pages 36-37 (2001 Perennial paperback edition)
- At age fourteen, by a process of osmosis, of dirty jokes, whispered secrets and filthy ballads, Tristram learned of sex.
movement of molecules from a region of high solvent potential to low