Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Any paved floor.
- The riches of heaven's pavement, trodden gold.
- (chiefly UK) A paved footpath, especially at the side of a road.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 14, The China Governess:
- Nanny Broome was looking up at the outer wall. Just under the ceiling there were three lunette windows, heavily barred and blacked out in the normal way by centuries of grime. Their bases were on a level with the pavement outside, a narrow way which was several feet lower than the road behind the house.
- (US, uncountable) Paved exterior surface, as with a road or sidewalk.
- The interior flooring, especially when of stone, of large buildings such as a cathedral.
- (footpath): sidewalk (US), footpath, footway, platform
- (surface of road): roadway (UK), road surface (UK); paving
surface of road
pavement m (plural pavements)
- "pavement" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).