Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- powdre (obsolete)
- The fine particles to which any dry substance is reduced by pounding, grinding, or triturating, or into which it falls by decay; dust.
- A mixture of fine dry, sweet-smelling particles applied to the face or other body parts, to reduce shine or to alleviate chaffing.
- An explosive mixture used in gunnery, blasting, etc.; gunpowder.
- (informal) Light, dry, fluffy snow.
Terms derived from powder (noun)
gunpowder — see gunpowder
- (transitive) To reduce to fine particles; to pound, grind, or rub into a powder.
- (transitive) To sprinkle with powder, or as with powder.
- to powder the hair
- (intransitive) To be reduced to powder; to become like powder.
- Some salts powder easily.
- (intransitive) To use powder on the hair or skin.
- She paints and powders.
- (transitive) To sprinkle with salt; to corn, as meat.
to reduce to fine particles
to sprinkle with powder
to be reduced to powder
to use powder on the hair or skin