Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Prostitution
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: pros‧ti‧tu‧tion
- Engaging in sexual activity with another person in exchange for compensation, such as money or other valuable goods.
2013 July 29, David Ingram (reporting for Reuters), Howard Goller & Bill Trott (editing for Reuters), “FBI arrests 150 in three days in sex-trafficking sweep”, news.yahoo.com, accessed on 2013-07-29:
- The FBI typically does not investigate adult prostitution, leaving it as a state and local matter, but in recent years it has made child prostitution a priority in a program the FBI calls Operation Cross Country. The program includes highway billboards asking people to call the FBI with tips.
- Her addiction brought her to the point that prostitution was the only means she had to survive.
- (by extension) Debasement for unworthy profit or motives.
- The television advertising job was a prostitution of the talents of one of the great writers of the century.
having sex for profit
prostitution f (plural prostitutions)