Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: prostate
prostrate (not comparable)
- Lying flat, facedown.
- Emotionally devastated.
- I told him you was prostrate with grief. — Mammy to Scarlett, Gone With the Wind.
- Physically incapacitated from environmental exposure or debilitating disease.
- He was prostrate from the extreme heat.
- (botany) Trailing on the ground; procumbent.
- (lying flat, facedown): supine
- (Often reflexive) To lie flat or facedown.
- To throw oneself down in submission (also figuratively).
- To cause to lie down, to flatten; (figuratively) to overcome or overpower.
- Prostrate and prostate are often confused, in spelling if not in meaning.
to lie flat or facedown