Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 1.1 Pronunciation
- 1.2 Etymology 1
- 1.3 Etymology 2
- 1.4 Etymology 3
- 1.5 External links
- 1.6 Anagrams
repair (plural repairs)
- The act of repairing something.
- I took the car to the workshop for repair.
- The result of repairing something.
- If you look closely you can see the repair in the paintwork
- The condition of something, in respect of need for repair.
- The car was overall in poor repair before the accident. But after the workshop had it for three weeks it was returned in excellent repair. But the other vehicle was beyond repair.
act of repairing something
result of repairing something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To restore to good working order, fix, or improve damaged condition; to mend; to remedy.
- to repair a house, a road, a shoe, or a ship
- to repair a shattered fortune
- secret refreshings that repair his strength
- Do thou, as thou art wont, repair / My heart with gladness.
- To make amends for, as for an injury, by an equivalent; to indemnify for.
- to repair a loss or damage
- I'll repair the misery thou dost bear.
- See also Wikisaurus:repair
to restore to good working order
repair (plural repairs)
- The act of repairing or resorting to a place.
- our annual repair to the mountains
- The king sent a proclamation for their repair to their houses.
- A place to which one goes frequently or habitually; a haunt.
- There the fierce winds his tender force assail / And beat him downward to his first repair.
place to which one goes often
- To transfer oneself to another place.
- to repair to sanctuary for safety
- Alexander Pope
- Go, mount the winds, and to the shades repair.
- 1850, Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
- I heard the visitors repair to their chambers.
- to pair again
- repair in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- repair in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- “repair” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, v1.1, Lexico Publishing Group, 2006.
- “repair” in The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.