Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A gun which fires loads consisting of small metal balls, called shot, from a cartridge.
- (slang) The front passenger seat in a vehicle, next to the driver; so called because the position of the shotgun-armed guard on a horse-drawn stage-coach, wagon train, or gold transport was next to the driver on a forward-mounted bench seat.
- I call shotgun! (I claim the right to sit in the passenger seat.)
- (US) A one-story dwelling with no hallways or corridors, with the rooms arranged in a straight line. Mostly heard in the southern United States.
- Elvis Presley was born in a two-bedroom shotgun in Tupelo, Mississippi.
- (American football) A play formation in which the quarterback is a few feet behind the snapper when the ball is hiked, ideally allowing for an easier pass play.
- double-barrelled shotgun
- ride shotgun
- sawn-off shotgun / sawed-off shotgun
- shotgun sequencing
- shotgun shack
- shotgun wedding
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (slang, smoking) To inhale from a pipe or other smoking device, followed shortly by an exhalation into someone else’s mouth.
- (transitive, informal) To verbally lay claim to (something)
- I got a day off because I shotgunned it.
- (transitive, baseball) To hit the ball directly back at the pitcher.
- (US, slang) To rapidly drink a beverage from a can by making a hole in the bottom of the can, placing the hole above one's mouth, and opening the top.
shotgun (not comparable)
- Of or relating to a shotgun.
- The ground was littered with shotgun shells.
- Occurring as a result of the threat of force.
- a shotgun wedding
- Utilizing numerous or highly diverse means to achieve a particular result.