Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To close, terminate, or end.
- They are planning to shut down the entire building at the end of the month.
- 2010, Jonathan Ashcroft, Scavengers (page 41)
- Alex quickly shut down her argument. 'But I'm the male. They lead in dancing, why shouldn't I be the lead here too? And besides, I was picked, you applied, which basically means I'm the lead anyway. […]
- (idiomatic) To turn off or stop.
- It's a good idea to shut down the machine before you leave.