Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: turn-off
- (transitive) To power down; to stop a device by switching it off.
- Turn off the machine and unplug it when you leave.
- (transitive) To repulse, disgust, or discourage.
- Cigarette smoking really turns me off.
- (intransitive) To leave a road; to exit.
- Turn off at the next exit so we can have lunch.
- In sense 1 the object is normally a thing. It may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
- In sense 2 the object is normally a person. It may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
switch off appliance or light
leave a road
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked