At first spelt squunck, from the Abenaki name for the animals, segôgw, segonku (“he who squirts / urinates”), from Proto-Algonquian *šeka:kwa, from *šek- (“to urinate”) (Abenaki seg-) + *-a:kw (“fox”) (Abenaki (w)ôkw(ses)).
skunk (plural skunks)
- Any of various small mammals, of the family Mephitidae, native to North and Central America, having a glossy black with a white coat and two musk glands at the base of the tail for emitting a noxious smell as a defensive measure.
- (slang) A despicable person.
- (slang) Short for skunkweed (marijuana).
- (slang) A walkover victory in sports or board games, as when the opposing side is unable to score. Compare shutout.
- (cribbage) A win by 30 or more points.
Derived terms 
- To defeat so badly as to prevent any opposing points.
- I skunked him at cards.
- We fished all day but the lake skunked us.
- (cribbage) To win by 30 or more points.
- (intransitive, of beer) to go bad, to spoil
See also 
- a skunk