Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
solitary (plural solitaries)
- See also Wikisaurus:recluse
one who lives alone
- Living or being by one's self; alone; having no companion present; being without associates.
- Performed, passed, or endured alone; as, a solitary journey; a solitary life.
- Not much visited or frequented; remote from society; retired; as, a solitary residence or place.
- Not inhabited or occupied; without signs of inhabitants or occupation; desolate; deserted; silent; still; hence, gloomy; dismal; as, the solitary desert.
- Single; individual; sole.
- a solitary example
- Not associated with others of the same kind.
Derived terms 
living alone or being by one's self
lonely — see lonely
performed, passed, or endured alone; as, a solitary journey; a solitary life
not much visited or frequented; remote from society; retired; as, a solitary residence or place
single; individual; sole; as, a solitary instance of vengeance; a solitary example