Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A violent death, mainly used of humans.
- He saivat surmansa = They got killed (literally: “they got their deaths”).
- Personification of sudden death.
- Hän joutui surman suuhun = He got killed (literally: "he got into the mouth of death'").
- (law) Killing, voluntary manslaughter under mitigating circumstances.
Declension of surma (type koira)
- (law) Killing is the unofficial translation of Finnish penal code used by the Ministry of Justice of Finland. See usage notes under tappo.
- (voluntary manslaughter): tappo (common language)