Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Unaffected by water.
- Made of or covered with material that doesn't allow water in.
unaffected by water
made or covered with material that doesn't let water in
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To make waterproof or water-resistant.
2013 August 3, “Yesterday’s fuel”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- The dawn of the oil age was fairly recent. Although the stuff was used to waterproof boats in the Middle East 6,000 years ago, extracting it in earnest began only in 1859 after an oil strike in Pennsylvania. The first barrels of crude fetched $18 (around $450 at today’s prices).
to make waterproof or water-resistant
waterproof (plural waterproofs)
- A substance or preparation for rendering cloth, leather, etc., impervious to water.
- Cloth made waterproof, or any article made of such cloth, or of other waterproof material, as rubber; especially, an outer garment made of such material.
- waterproof (all senses)