Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- According to Pokorny cognate with κολώνη (kolṓnē) "hill", Latin collis "hill", the sense of "topping, finishing" derives figuratively from the one of "top".
- According to Strabο (Geographica 14:1:28), from Κολοφών (Kolophṓn, “Colophon”) as coming from the belief that the cavalry of Colophon was so excellent, that it always decided the contest.
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /kolopʰɔ͜ɔ́n/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /kolopʰóːn/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /koloɸón/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /kolofón/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /kolofón/
- a summit, top, finishing
- a type of playing ball
- (according to Hesychius) jackdaw, daw, grackle
- (according to Hesychius) a type of sea-fish
- (jackdaw): κολοιός (koloiós)
- LSJ 8th edition