Diminutive forms with -y.
- A diminutive of the female given name Adelaide, Adeline, Adrienne, Addison and of similar-sounding names.
- 2009 J. Scott Romig, The Lookout Tree, Author House, ISBN 1449041426, page 1:
- My name is Addison Jane Dawson, but you can call me Addy; everyone else does.
- A diminutive of the male given name Adam.
- 1859 George Eliot, Adam Bede/Chapter I:
- "Let be, Addy, let be. Ben will be joking. Why, he's i' the right to laugh at me--I canna help laughing at myself." "I shan't loose him till he promises to let the door alone," said Adam.
- A patronymic surname, derived from the given name Adam
- (slang) The psychostimulant medication Adderall.