Appendix:Glossary of ecology
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
This is a glossary of ecology.
- An organism partaking in a commensal relationship.
- A sharing of the same environment by two organisms without specific harm or benefit to either.
- A system formed by an ecological community and its environment that functions as a unit.
- A cell or organism which harbors another organism or biological entity, usually a parasite.
- Any interaction between two species that benefits both; typically involves the exchange of substances or services.
- A function within an ecological system to which an organism is especially suited.
- A (generally undesirable) living organism that exists by stealing the resources needed by another living organism.
- An interaction between two organisms, in which one organism (the parasite) benefits and the other (the host) is harmed
- An organism in a partnership with another such that each profits from their being together; a symbiont.
- A close, prolonged association between two or more different organisms of different species that normally benefits both members.