Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bell (countable and uncountable, plural Bells)
- A surname of Scottish and northern English origin for a bell ringer, bellmaker, or from someone who lived "at the Bell (inn)."
- The Bell telephone company (after Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone.)
- A male given name transferred from the surname, of occasional usage.
- A female given name, variant of Belle; mostly used as a middle name in the 19th century.
- 1857, Charles Dickens, chapter 1, in The Perils of Certain English Prisoners:
- […] I found that her Christian name was Isabella, which they shortened into Bell, and that the name of the deceased non-commissioned officer was Tott. Being the kind of neat little woman it was natural to make a toy of—I never saw a woman so like a toy in my life—she had got the plaything name of Belltott. In short, she had no other name on the island.
- A number of places in the United States:
- A city in Los Angeles County, California.
- A town in Gilchrist County, Florida.
- An unincorporated community in Logan County, Illinois.
- A census-designated place in Adair County, Oklahoma.
- A town in Bayfield County, Wisconsin.
- Three townships in Pennsylvania.
- A village in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
- A village in the City of Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia.
- A rural town in Western Downs Region, Queensland, Australia.
- A municipality in Mayen-Koblenz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.
- A municipality in Rhein-Hunsrück-Kreis, Rhineland-Palatinate.
Bell (plural Bells)
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Bell is the 106th most common surname in the United States, belonging to 220,599 individuals. Bell is most common among White (61.11%) and Black (32.35%) individuals.
- English 1-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with homophones
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- English countable proper nouns
- English surnames
- English given names
- English male given names
- English male given names from surnames
- English female given names
- English terms with quotations
- en:Places in the United States
- en:Cities in California, USA
- en:Cities in the United States
- en:Places in California, USA
- en:Towns in Florida, USA
- en:Towns in the United States
- en:Places in Florida, USA
- en:Unincorporated communities in Illinois, USA
- en:Unincorporated communities in the United States
- en:Places in Illinois, USA
- en:Census-designated places in Oklahoma, USA
- en:Census-designated places in the United States
- en:Places in Oklahoma, USA
- en:Towns in Wisconsin, USA
- en:Places in Wisconsin, USA
- en:Places in Pennsylvania, USA
- en:Villages in South Africa
- en:Places in South Africa
- en:Villages in New South Wales
- en:Villages in Australia
- en:Places in New South Wales
- en:Places in Australia
- en:Towns in Queensland
- en:Towns in Australia
- en:Places in Queensland
- en:Municipalities of Germany
- en:Places in Rhineland-Palatinate
- en:Places in Germany
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- American English
- Canadian English
- English diminutives of female given names
- English surnames from occupations