(Redirected from Brobdingnagian)
- Of or pertaining to Brobdingnag.
- (figuratively) Enormous, huge, far larger than is customary for such a thing.
1899, Israel Zangwill, "They that Walk in Darkness": Ghetto Tragedies, page 289:
- When, at the head-centre, the lady demonstrator, armed with a Brobdingnagian whalebone needle, threaded with a bright red cord, executed herringboned fantasias on a canvas frame resembling a violin stand, it all looked easy enough.
- 1907, Booth Tarkington, "Glamour" in His Own People,
- The two men followed Madame de Vaurigard into a square hall, hung with tapestries and lit by two candles of a Brobdingnagian species Mellin had heretofore seen only in cathedrals.
- 2010, Christopher Hitchens, Hitch-22, Atlantic 2011, p. 52:
- Again I stress the matter of sheer scale: the teachers were enormous compared to us and this lent a Brobdingnagian aspect to the scene.
- See also Thesaurus:gigantic
brobdingnagian (plural brobdingnagians)