- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌkeɪnəʊˈzəʊɪk/, /ˌsɛnɵˈzəʊɪk/, /ˌsiːnɵˈzəʊɪk/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌkɛnɵˈzoʊɪk/, /ˌsɛnɵˈzoʊɪk/, /ˌsinɵˈzoʊɪk/
- Rhymes: -əʊɪk
The pronunciations with /k/ were the only ones in use until the twentieth century. The forms with /s/ were considered incorrect pronunciations until at least the 1950s and still may be by some speakers today.
Cenozoic (not comparable)
- (geology) Of or pertaining to the Cenozoic era.
of a geological era from 65 million years ago to present
- (geology) A geologic era within the Phanerozoic eon comprising the Paleogene and Neogene periods from about 65 million years ago to the present, when the continents moved to their current position and modern plants and animals evolved.
- ^ W. E. Flood, "The Pronunciation of Scientific Terms", in The New Scientist, 28 November 1957.