Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (fandom slang) The act of progressively exaggerating a single trait (or set of traits) of a character until it overtakes all other characterization.
- 2009 June 7, tmc1982 [username], “Seasonal Rot - Television Tropes & Idioms”, in rec.arts.tv, Usenet:
- Many fans say that season 5 was the beginning of its downfall as Flanderization occurred. JD went from being a little emotionally needy to a whiny man-child and Elliot became every negative stereotype about women instead of her usual neurotic but lovable self.
- 2014 September 9, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor), “On My Shelves: The Stainless Steel Rat”, in rec.arts.sf.written, Usenet:
- Part of the decrease was a "Flanderization" of the Rat […] his characteristics became exaggerated to the point that he seemed to me to be approaching self-caricature […] and Harrison's writing quirks began to dominate the story, rather than merely accent it.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:Flanderization.