Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To pass a more slowly moving object or entity.
- The racehorse overtook the lead pack on the last turn.
- The car was so slow we were overtaken by a bus.
- 2019 October, “Funding for 20tph East London service”, in Modern Railways, page 18:
- The station is planned to include platform loops enabling fast trains to overtake slower ones and is expected to be served by at least four trains per hour towards London.
- (economics) To become greater than something else
- To occur unexpectedly; take by surprise; surprise and overcome; carry away
- Our plans were overtaken by events.
to pass a more slowly moving object
to catch up with, but not pass
economics: to become greater than something else
to occur unexpectedly take by surprise; surprise and overcome
- Not to be confused with take over.
- Alternative form of