Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /hɪnˈdʊtvə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /hinˈdətvə/, /hɪnˈdətvə/
- The state or quality of being Hindu [from 20th c.]
- The ideology of Hindu nationalism.
- 2016, Sunil Khilnani, Incarnations, Penguin, page 284:
- In India, too, people now wish to bring that argument to a close: to replace the ruckus of politics with the moralized ideology of Hindutva.
- 2022 March 30, Ross Douthat, “Yes, There Is a Clash of Civilizations”, in The New York Times, →ISSN:
- China’s one-party meritocracy, Putin’s uncrowned czardom, the post-Arab Spring triumph of dictatorship and monarchy over religious populism in the Middle East, the Hindutva populism transforming Indian democracy — these aren’t just all indistinguishable forms of “autocracy,” but culturally distinctive developments that fit well with Huntington’s typology […]
- bhagwa, sanghi, bhakt, nationalist, rashtravadi, Bharatwasi (online slang terms for Hindutva supporters, may sometimes be derogatory)
- swayamsevak (a member of RSS, a Hindutva paramilitary organisation)
- chaddi (derogatory online slang term for Hindutva supporters)
Hindutva (plural Hindutvas)
- (informal) A member of a Hindutva group or a supporter of Hindutva.