Jump to navigation Jump to search
bhakt (plural bhakts)
- (Hinduism) Someone who practises bhakti; a person who is devoted to God; a devotee; a worshipper; a religious disciple.
- 2014, Antoinette Elizabeth DeNapoli, Real Sadhus Sing to God: Gender, Asceticism, and Vernacular Religion in Rajasthan, page 83:
- In commenting on these stories, Ganga Giri selects the virtues of suffering and sacrifice exhibited variously by the male bhakts as characteristic of renunciant bhakti.
- 2000, Sumita Ghose, Sanjoy's Assam: Diaries and Writings of Sanjoy Ghose:
- Although Sankardeb himself may have had disciples in his close circle from different religions and castes, in Majuli the interpretation has become rigid — none of them allow Scheduled Caste or tribal people to become bhakts and live in the […]
- 1991, A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda, chapter 4, in Nārada-bhakti-sūtra, The Secrets of Transcendental Love:
- In the case of Śrī Kṛṣṇa, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, everything is His energy. So wherever the bhakta goes or whatever he perceives throughout the universe, he is reminded of the Lord. Moreover, this recognition is not merely an intellectual habit but a total, overpowering state of love.
- (derogatory, slang, religious slur) A devout Hindu.
- (India, derogatory, politics, slang) An ardent right-wing Hindu nationalist netizen. [from 21st c.]
- 2015, Rajdeep Sardesai, 2014: The Election That Changed India:
- Even if Modi didn't look closely at his tweets, his team and followers certainly did. If the Gandhi family had their political chamchas, Modi had his 'Internet Hindus' (or bhakts, as I called them).
- 2016, Sonali Acharjee, Look Up: Social Media and the Addiction No One Is Talking About:
- For example, I've met Modi myself and interviewed him twice. But these Modi bhakts might pray to him every morning, yet they'll never enjoy such access.
- 2017, Revant Himatsingka, Selfienomics: A Seriously Funny Guide to Living the Good Life:
- Our nation is divided into Modi Bhakts and Aaptards (#SorryCongress). This is why elections are also fought on the appeal of individuals rather than on the actions of the parties (#PaanchSaalKejriwal #AbkiBaarModiSarkar).
- (India, derogatory, politics, slang) An ardent supporter of the Bharatiya Janata Party or its leader Narendra Modi.
- bhakta (a devout Hindu)
- bhagwa, chaddi, sanghi (Indian politics)
- kattar (towards strict and overtly-devout Hindus, derogatory)
- malaun (anti-Hinduism, offensive)
- Sanatani (a devout Hindu, usually a conservative)
- sickular (Indian politics)
- librandu (Indian politics, vulgar)
- congi (Indian politics)
- Macaulay's children (plural only, Indian politics)
- andh bhakt (“blind devotee”) (Indian politics; referring to a fervent supporter)
- Ram bhakt (“devotee of Rama”) (religion, politics; a worshipper of Rama or a fervent supporter of Hindutva)