Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Probably from Celtic words cognate with Welsh ir, yr "green, fresh" + afon "water".
- A river in Ayrshire, Scotland, which flows into the Firth of Clyde near the town of Irvine.
- A town in North Ayrshire council area, Scotland (OS grid ref NS3238).
- A hamlet in Alberta, Canada
- A city in Orange County, California, USA.
- An unincorporated community in Marion County, Florida, USA.
- A city in Kentucky, USA, and the county seat of Estill County.
- An unincorporated community in Converse County, Wyoming, USA.
- A surname derived from the place name.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.