Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈskɒt.lənd/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈskɑt.lənd/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Scotland, Northern England) IPA(key): /ˈskɔʔ.lənd/
- A country in northwest Europe to the north of England and forming part of the United Kingdom.
2014 September 14, John Oliver, “Scottish Independence”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 1, episode 17, HBO:
- That’s right. Not even English flag poles can suddenly start treating Scotland with the respect it deserves. “Get this rag off me! Get it off! I can’t! Get this blue mess off me!”
- A habitational surname referring to someone from Scotland.
- In the history of Scotland, the country's monarchs should not be described as "Kings of Scotland" but as "Kings of Scots".
country in northwest Europe to the north of England