- (fandom slang, transitive) To invalidate a fan theory or original element of a fanwork through the introduction of new canon or retconning.
- 2001 October 20, Sarah Trombley, “Re: Cut Scenes from Carpe Noctem Script”, in alt.tv.angel, Usenet:
- I have this pet theory which will no doubt be Jossed (Greenwalted?) sooner or later. That Wes's dad is not a Watcher, but someone wealthy and financially connected with the Council (if they have all that influence, at least some of the people involved must know who they are)--in short, some kind of profiteer in the war against the forces of evil.
- 2005 December 5, heidi8 [username], “New Essay Archive at HPInkPot.com”, in alt.fan.harry-potter, Usenet:
- Even if your pet subject was "Jossed" by HBP (in other words, your theorizing was annihalated[sic] or impacted by a canon development) we'd love to have your archival works on HPInkPot - just select "pre-HBP" in the "when was this work written?" section.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:Joss.