Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Named after the Lockerbie Bombing, a terrorist attack on a plane, which happened above the town of Lockerbie.
Lockerbie (plural Lockerbies)
- A terrorist bomb attack on an airplane.
1996, Joseba Zulaika and William A. Douglass, Terror and taboo: the follies, fables, and faces of terrorism, page 9:
- So is it not prudent to install metal detectors in airports to try to prevent Lockerbies and Oklahoma Cities?
- 2003, Roger W. Cobb, David M. Primo, The plane truth: airline crashes, the media, and transportation policy:
- Complete bag matching on originating flights would not prevent another Lockerbie and was implemented because it was feasible and minimized delays. Nail clippers on board an aircraft were not permitted for a time,...
2009 September 12, Nick Parker, “Haringey let kid live with bomber”, in The Sun:
- The hidden book - written by Abdullah Azzam - was discovered after they swooped to arrest the monster days before his plan to stage seven Lockerbies.