Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US) The system of government subsidies for health care for the elderly and disabled.
- My mom started getting Medicare last week.
- (Australia) The publicly funded universal health care system, operated by the government authority Medicare Australia. [From 1984.]
- 2008, Jackie Crisp, Catherine Taylor, Potter and Perry′s Fundamentals of Nursing, page 25,
- All Australians are covered by Medicare, which is a universal insurance system controlled by the Australian Government through Commonwealth–State Health Care Agreements.
2010, Elizabeth MacKinlay, Ageing and Spirituality Across Faiths and Cultures, page 229:
- Aside from Medicare, Australia′s universal health care system, most other support is income- or means-tested, depending on the level ofincome and assets of the care recipient, with some residents required to pay a daily fee to contribute to their care.
- (Canada) Alternative spelling of