Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: morgan
- (countable) A unisex given name
- A male or female given name from Old Welsh Morcant, possibly from *mor (“sea”) (Welsh môr) or *mọr (“great”) (Old Welsh maur) + *kantos (“circle”) (Welsh cant), meaning “great chief” or “sea chief”.
- A male given name from Irish, an adopted anglicization of Murchadh (Murrough).
- A female given name from Old Welsh Morgen, from *mor (“sea”) (Welsh môr) + *gen (“birth”) (Proto-Celtic *genos), meaning “sea-born.” The name of Morgan le Fay. Cognate with Old Irish Muirgen.
- (countable) A surname.
- A surname from Welsh [in turn originating as a patronymic].
- A surname from Irish [in turn originating as a patronymic], an anglicization of Morgán, itself from the Welsh name.
- A surname from Irish, a variant anglicization of Ó Muireagáin (Merrigan).
- A surname from Irish, an adopted anglicization of Ó Murcháin (Morahan).
- A placename.
- A town in South Australia, Australia; named for William Morgan, 14th Premier of South Australia.
- An unincorporated community in Ontario, Canada.
- A locale in the United States:
- A city, the county seat of Calhoun County, Georgia; named for county official Hiram Morgan.
- A city in Minnesota; named for anthropologist Lewis H. Morgan.
- A city in Texas.
- A city, the county seat of Morgan County, Utah; named for Mormon apostle Jedediah Morgan Grant.
- A town in Vermont; named for landowner John Morgan.
- A town in Oconto County, Wisconsin, and an unincorporated community within that town.
- A neighborhood of Sayreville borough, New Jersey; named for landowner Charles Morgan III.
- An unincorporated community in West Virginia.
- An unincorporated community in Shawano County, Wisconsin.
- A ghost town in California; named for early settler Charles Morgan.
- A number of townships in the United States, listed under Morgan Township.
- (Arthurian legend) Ellipsis of .
Traditionally a male given name, Morgan has been given to girls in English-speaking countries since the 1980s. In the United States and Canada the name is now more often given to girls.
Morgan (plural Morgans)
- A horse of a compact breed from Vermont; named for Justin Morgan, owner of the stud from which the breed originated.
- A British sports car manufacturer; named for founder H. F. S. Morgan.
- (numismatic slang) A Morgan dollar.
Morgan c (genitive Morgans)
- a male given name borrowed from English
- a male given name
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.|