Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: neet
Abbreviation of Not in Education, Employment, or Training. Originally British government jargon, first attested in the late 1990s. Now spread to Japan and other countries, albeit with different technical definitions.
NEET (plural NEETs)
- (chiefly Britain) A person not in employment, education, or training
- 2006, Suvendrini Kakuchi, “Turning to 'NEETS' to Cover Labour Shortages”, in Inter Press Service:
- Studies have shown that NEETs are usually between the ages of 18 to 40 years and may be the victims of family breakdown and mental illness, lack of discipline also contributes to the problem.
- 2005 February 9, The Washington Times:
- The NEET population in 2003, according to a Ministry of Health and Labor estimate last September, was 520,000.
person not in employment, education or training