From Ancient Greek Ναζαρηνός (Nazarēnós, “of Nazareth”), an ethnonym of Ναζαρέθ (Nazaréth). For a list of theories as to the further etymology of this word, please consult the Wikipedia article on ‘Nazarene’.
Nazarene (not comparable)
- Of or pertaining to Nazareth or its people.
- Of or relating to the Church of the Nazarene.
- Holiness Today is a Nazarene magazine.
Nazarene (plural Nazarenes)
- A person from Nazareth.
- (historical) A member of the Jewish sect of the Nazarenes.
- A member of the Church of the Nazarene.
- I have been a Nazarene for several years; I joined the church in 1946.
- (usually as “the Nazarene”) an epithet of Jesus Christ