Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search


Request for verification[edit]

Keep tidy.svg

The following information has failed Wiktionary's verification process.

Failure to be verified may either mean that this information is fabricated, or is merely beyond our resources to confirm. We have archived here the disputed information, the verification discussion, and any documentation gathered so far, pending further evidence.
Do not re-add this information to the article without also submitting proof that it meets Wiktionary's criteria for inclusion.


Rfv-sense: A room-like space used for prostitution. Citation is for a proper noun: "The Cribs".


Rfv-sense X 2:

1 (intransitive) To cram for a particular subject from notes.
2 (intransitive, rare) To complain [about something].

Citations would be useful to confirm intransitive/trans usage, context, frequency, as well as existence.

--DCDuring TALK 12:54, 21 January 2010 (UTC)

Failed; removed; striking.​—msh210 17:06, 24 February 2010 (UTC)

Keep tidy.svg

The following information has failed Wiktionary's deletion process.

It should not be re-entered without careful consideration.


crib#Noun Rfd-redundant 2 senses.

  1. A covered structure, for confining animals.
  2. A stall for large domestic animals.

I believe that these are adequately covered by: A small room or covered structure, especially one of rough construction, used for storage or penning animals. This last would benefit from further attention. DCDuring TALK 12:43, 21 January 2010 (UTC)

crib#Verb Rfd-redundant:

To engage in academic dishonesty by the illicit use of a pony or cheat sheet; plagiarism.

I believe this (if it indeed exists) is covered by:

To collect one or more passages and/or references for use in a speech, written document or as an aid for some task; to create a crib sheet.

--DCDuring TALK 12:52, 21 January 2010 (UTC)

The "to collect one or more..." sense is marked "intransitive" but its usex shows transitive use. I also know it as transitive. but google books:"cribbed|cribbing for * test|exam|final|midterm" shows intransitive use also. So perhaps two senses are necessary, though the "engage in academic dishonesty" one may be too specific. (Or maybe they should be one sense anyway, tagged {{ambitransitive}}.)​—msh210 17:58, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Both ambitransitive and bitransitive are ways of marking en.wikt as being for language insiders only, which does seem to be the reality, so perhaps it would be truth in advertising. Combining transitive and intransitive into one sense means that the definition cannot be subsitutable, which is, I think, a desideratum of a good definition. Non-gloss (good for grammaticals and interjections) or full-sentence (used in some language-learner dictionaries (COBUILD, Encarta) are alternative approaches.
I do see that both transitive and intransitive may be required. How does the transitive sense work? Is it "He cribbed the answers from an e-mail from his friend in the earlier class."? I guess it would usually be passive. DCDuring TALK 18:27, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Deleted all redundant senses.--Jusjih 01:55, 20 December 2010 (UTC)