Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Abbreviation of Christianity.
- 1861, Sussex Archaeological Society, quoting Vicar of Rye, Sussex Archaeological Collections relating to the History and Antiquities of the County, volume 13, Sussex: George P. Bacon, page 62:
- Not but that I perswade myselfe to bee able to convince you (if you list to undergoe yor triall) how interolerable an injury it is you doe yrselfe, in ye first place, yr ignorant followers, ye King's authority, ye credit of the towne, and ye progress of Xianity in general, in these parts, by yr schisme and separation.
- 1950 December 14, Lewis, C. S., letter to Sheldon Vanauken, quoted in Sleuthing C. S. Lewis by Kathryn Ann Lindskoog:
- I believe Buddhism to be a simplification of Hinduism and Islam to be a simplification of Xianity.
As with Xmas, as of the late 20th century this term may be considered informal or disrespectful.